Job Title: Teacher
Reports to: Executive Director
Provide clients with activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth in the community.
Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with certification in special education
Knowledge of special needs of clients with disabilities
CPR/First Aid Certification
Minimum of three years of experience working with persons with disabilities preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Collaborate with clients, parents, and other members of staff to develop age-appropriate activities for each client assigned based on the level of needs
2. Plan and use appropriate strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of clients assigned.
3. Employ a variety of techniques and media to meet the needs and capabilities of each client assigned.
4. Plan and supervise assignments for program assistant(s) and volunteer(s).
5. Provide or supervise personal care and medical care of clients as needed.
6. Be a positive role model for clients; support the mission of the SA Life Academy.
7. Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of clients.
8. Manage client behavior. This includes intervening in crisis situations.
9. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect clients, equipment, materials, and facilities.
10. Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, clients and executive director.
11. Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, clients, parents, and community members.
12. Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
13. Develop community volunteer sites to meet client’s interests.
Supervise assigned Client Support Staff
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling. Move media equipment, tables, and other equipment. May be required to lift and position clients with physical disabilities. Exposure to biological hazards.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
SA Life Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on gender, race, color, national origin, religion, ago, or disability.
To apply please click here.